Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I report possible fraud on Yahoo Personals?

I have been communicating with a man who was shown in your ';Welcome to Yahoo Personals'; window a couple of weeks ago. I now have personal reason to believe he is not who he claimed to be, nor the picture he used, actually his own, but rather, is working on a scam out of Africa (he asked me to set up a bank account for him as he was returning to live in Canada. Once he had the number of the savings account, he then asked me to wire the funds back to Africa via Western Union). This action of his set bells off in my head immediately, and I told him I could not do so, and would cancel the bank account set up yesterday. He was very upset with me, for not ';trusting in him';, and cut short our communication on IM-ing early this morning.





Would appreciate hearing from back from you as soon as possible, please, as this has really unsettled me. I have read enough about to what lengths these scam artists will go to silence their 'marks' when they no longer go along.





Thank you, sincerelyHow do I report possible fraud on Yahoo Personals?
1.The chances someone in Africa (probably Nigeria or Burkina Faso) is going to send a hitman to dispatch you for not following thur are probably not as good as the chances we all wake up in China tomorrow. These guys work 50+ people at a time and 48 of those reject them at some point, so do not worry





2. Block him on IM and delete all his emails. He will harrass you for monthes and monthes, being nice and sweet, alternate with hurt and/or aggressive. Just cut it off now. ITS A SCAM I PROMISE





3.Did he send you a check or money order to open this account? Its not a good check. it will bounce and you will be liable. thats why he wants Western Union,s o it gets him cash before the check bounces. Go to the bank, close the account and explain what happened so you are not liable if he uses that account number for anything





I can tell you a lot, feel free to email me, I have studied this extensively for a college course (and out of interest)


becca_573@yahoo.com





Main thing to worry about................what personal info does he have of yours?? other bank acct #'s, credit card #'s, SS #, etc?? He wont come kill you but he could wipe you out financially





email if you need more help. Also, the United States Police or FBI do NOT get involved in cases like this, call your local police if you will feel safer, but the previous posters are wrong in saying it is a police or law matter.............the police dont have time or resources or the ability to go after 10's of 1,000's of Africans who do this for a living! plus no jurisdiction





BeccaHow do I report possible fraud on Yahoo Personals?
i dunno
Ok, the stupid thing about yahoo is they have a way of tricking you into thinking you're sending the Yahoo staff a letter, and it ends up going out here to the public.





I was just watching a show the other day on Dateline about these scams.





Since it doesn't seem you're actually looking for help from the average schmoe but want to reach yahoo themselves, I would recommend trying your best to find a contact link that isn't related to Yahoo Answers.





It's up to you if you want to delete this post or not.
you can report all you want. no one reads them. sorry, but yahoo SUCKS!!!
this is a police matter
why are you putting this on yahoo answers this is something the cops should deal with
i would contact the authorities!!!
He didn't give you the ';sick child'; story about having a child in the hospital, did he? I had the same scam happen to me but it wasn't yahoo personals so I contacted the folks and reported him.





Try writing to abuse@yahoo.com and if they're not the write address then they can direct you to the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment