Friday, August 20, 2010

Is your partner feminist, are you? How does it affect your marriage?

I am, so of course he is. I wouldn't be with a man who didn't believe in the equality of the sexes. In fact, what originally attracted me to him was that he would dress goth/androgenous and causually rant about the constructs of gender ie. 'pink is for girls' why or 'why can't men where skirts' and to tell you the truth he did look better in a skirt than most women! Hahaha.





How do you think this affects your marriage? Personally, I find that it helps in communication. I don't have to live by stereotypes that state how men and women communicate. Yes, that is how we are taught to communicate, but it's not natural. We can be comfortable as ourselves without any notions based on our sex organs of man and woman. We are closer without the cloak of gender roles. I think that we also have a lot more respect and support for each other both personally and professionally because of our views, so we're better partners for it.Is your partner feminist, are you? How does it affect your marriage?
Actually I'm bisexual and feminist and I'd always assumed that if I had a serious relationship with a man it would be with an ';alternative'; man like the questioner's partner. Boy was I surprised to get involved with a ';straight'; straight man!





My husband's the sort of guy who sees the two genders as tending to be quite different - although he certainly doesn't see women as ';the weaker sex';. I gues it's more along thhe lines of equal but different. Still, he would defend someone's right to be as they choose and wouldn't expect a woman to be limited by her gender.





I find that although our views are often different, our values tend to be the same. For instance I was a peace campaigner in the 80's - he was in the military. Both of us believe it's wrong to just stand by and that we should do what we can to make the world a better place.





Being with him has taught me a lot about straight people and it's taught him a lot about feminist/alternative people. We both believe we're better people as a result.





Glad to hear your relationship's going so well... my guess is that's more shared values than ideologies though ;-)Is your partner feminist, are you? How does it affect your marriage?
My wife and I are both feminists and we've been deliriously happy with each other for over seventeen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment